Friday, February 20, 2009

WPPI & Jasmine: System Reboot!

You know how sometimes your computer just isn't running right? Programs are opening slowly and things are glitchy? At those times it seems the best thing to do is just to shut everything down for a moment and restart the system afresh. This is the best analogy to my experience at the Wedding and Portrait Photographer Int'l convention this last week in Las Vegas.

As I walked into the gigantic expo hall filled with thousands of photographers I felt like I was in the shut-down moment. I had been feeling glitchy for a while, like my photography skills and development were just not going exactly as I wished. Upon entering that throng I felt a total melt-down of any confidence I had remaining! All these products, all these people that I knew nothing about! I clung piteously to my WPPI badge, as it seemed to be the only thing left granting me any kind of right to be here, or any validity at all. I paid my entrance fee!

But as blank and black as the shutdown always is, the reboot inevitably follows. I started to make my way around the hall, listening to conversations, engaging in a few of my own. People were helpful, people were friendly. And I was capable of talking about lighting, of talking about albums, and print quality, and work flow. I started to realize that I wasn't an outsider here, I was actually a part of this group! My fear turned to excitement. I ended up walking the expo until my feet had blisters and I gave up on ignoring my hunger pains.

If the expo was my system restart, then my AM shoot with Jasmine Star was the reopening of programs, the getting back to work again. Shooting with Jasmine was like working without the glitches and the hesitation that had been plaguing me. She works in a way that is fast, fun and loose. It seems effortless. She keeps her energy high and her stress low. I learned so much in such a short time. Thank you Jasmine for helping me to relax and embrace the joys of photography!


Shooting freely, embracing natural light. Not worrying about reflectors and flashes!

Utilizing props, constantly engaging with the subject to keep it upbeat and fun!

Jasmine with her "gun" out of its "holster", always ready .

Traveling light, Jasmine directs her clients in a strange area with gorgeous light.

Jasmine working together with her 2nd shooter (and husband) in the middle of the Las Vegas strip. She never makes clients do a pose or action more than twice.

Playing with distance between the subjects, Jasmine shows us how the unconventional can be beautiful.

Shooting with her 50mm, Jasmine keeps things really simple.

Jasmine lets her clients change the pose if it is not working. But she is always giving them feedback!

If you don't got it, fake it! Jasmine always brings confidence to a shoot, and has back-up fail-safe ideas to keep her going.

Stairs always present a good location. Take advantage sez Jasmine!

Get that hair smoothed out! Watch for the details, don't rely on Photoshop!

Turn hips away from the camera. No one likes a "crotch-shot!"

Keep your clients feeling comfortable. It was FREEZING up on this bridge, but Jasmine kept it moving fast, and kept the couple upbeat and laughing.

It was obvious that Jasmine's priorities on the shoot were these (all of which I intend to adopt today):
1- Make clients feel comfortable by demonstrating confidence and warmth
2- Make great images by having comfortable clients
3- Make great images by understanding light and your camera

My photographic operating system has had a total reboot. I have a new perspective on the people in this industry and my place in it. I am so excited now for the future and where Corliss Photography is headed. Thank you Jasmine, and thank you WPPI!


*The bonus shot*

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oohhh...this is all very interesting! i'm excited for you (and for me because I get to benefit from your talents!!) :)

Hello! said...

Hey Kali,
Thanks for sharing the info. I tried to win a spot to that shoot. Lucky you. You may not remember me. I actually took pictures at your wedding with Rebekah Westover. I can't remember how I found your blog, but now I check it out. You guys are doing a great job.

Kali said...

Thanks both Lindsays for stopping by. Photographer Lindsay- honestly I don't really remember a ton about my wedding day, twas kind of a blur! But thanks for being there, we still love all our photos. (I wonder which ones were yours??) And you are so lucky you get to work with Rebekah, she rocks! I will check out your blog when I get a chance! Its always good to collaborate.

Anonymous said...

your pics are great!! so sweet of you to pass the wisdom on to other photographers!

emily griffith said...

Awesome shots! And I love how you explained your WPPI experience....I can totally relate!!!!! Keep up the great work!

Kare said...

Great commentary, Kali - of all the posts about J*'s morning shoot, yours was the most informative. Thanks for sharing what you learned - I was beginning to think it was a secret ;-)

Great shots, too, btw; I'll be back here for more inspiration.

Kali said...

Thanks Kare! I just wanted to remember all the details and try to incorporate them on future shoots! I think having CONFIDENCE was the #1 thing I learned!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful images, great recap! It was so nice to meet you and everyone at WPPI, especially that morning - what a great experience working with Jasmine! :)

Anonymous said...

Such a fantastic post!! I can totally relate to your recap; love it! Mark and I had the BEST morning, thanks to all of you guys!

daria said...

Hi Kali! I loved your analogy and I found your post to be refreshingly open + honest.
Really, who doesn't feel overwhelmed and out of sorts at times. We all need to reboot now + again.
I loved your shots and it was such a blast being part of Jasmine's posse with you!!
Have a great season!!
xo

ksenija said...

hi there! beautyFULL images & i love, love the recap -- you really did an awesome job of summing it up! so great to be a part of that fabulous morning with you. :D

Rebekah said...

Yay!! It looks like so much fun!